Cari Burdett’s rich alto voice stirs the heart as she takes the audience around the world through song. She delivers a vibrant, genre-defying, fusion of jazz, folk, opera and world music; seamlessly blending multiple European languages with timeless, theatrical -air. Burdett’s style, ‘Dramatic Gypsy Cabaret’ is the culmination of years of study and performance.
If you enjoy Ute Lemper, Edith Piaf and Nina Simone, you’ll love Cari’s unique interpretations of these great classics as well as her original compositions.
Like her gypsy ancestors, Cari is a troubadour, performing and teaching across Canada, Europe, USA and China. Her multifaceted education includes classical voice, new music, opera, vocal improvisation, art song, dance, acting and musical theatre. She holds a music degree from McGill University, Montreal and a Master’s degree in Opera from the Royal Academy of Music, London. Cari joyously shares the fruits of her trainings through performances and teaching as Director of Lila Music Centre in Duncan, BC.
- Scholarship, Banff Centre of Fine Arts, Music Residency Program 2017
- Vocalist of the year, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Album of the year nomination,Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Artist of the year nomination, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Video of the year nomination, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Producer of the year, |Joby Baker for Magnolia, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Western Canada Music Awards- nominated for Best World Album 2015
- Scholarship, Banff Centre of Fine Arts, Music Residency Program 2015
- Semi-Finalist in the 2008 Eckhardt Gramatté competition
- Scholarship recipient at RAM and McGill University