Cari Burdett is a Vancouver Island based songstress, who delivers a vibrant, genre-defying fusion of jazz, art song, folk and world music, singing with a timeless theatrical flair in multiple European languages. Cari is a troubadour like her gypsy ancestors. Performing and teaching across North America, Europe and China. Along the way Burdett fell in love with cabaret, a theme that deeply inspires her. Cari’s ‘Cabaret’ style takes the audience around the world through song and her rich mezzo soprano voice stirs the heart holding you spellbound.
If you enjoy Ute Lemper, Edith Piaf and Nina Simone, you’ll love Cari’s unique interpretations of these great classics as well as her original compositions.
Burdett’s multifaceted education spans a number of disciplines that include; classical voice, new music, opera, vocal improvisation, art song, dance, acting and musical theatre. She holds a music degree in Opera from McGill University, Montreal and a Master’s degree in Performance Voice from the prestigious Royal Academy of Music, London.
Burdett released her first full length album ‘Magnolia’ in 2015, receiving nomination for World Album by Western Canada Music Awards. ‘Magnolia’ recorded with Grammy and Juno winner Joby Baker was awarded ‘Producer of the Year’ and Burdett ‘Vocalist of the Year' 2016 by Vancouver Island Music Awards (VIMA). Her band mates have included international known musicians; Adrian Dolan, Richard Moody and Scott White of ‘The Bills’ from the West Coast of Canada.
In January 2017 Burdett began composing work as an Artist in Residence at the Banff Centre for the Arts for her second record which is set to be released late fall 2018. 2017 is busy with selected performances, the creation of two videos for original songs for the upcoming album plus performance workshops where Cari is honing her song writing skills. Also, Burdett is producing her seventh annual ‘Winter Solstice’ series that is always well received with venues sold out.
- Scholarship, Banff Centre of Fine Arts, Music Residency Program 2017
- Vocalist of the year, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Album of the year nomination,Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Artist of the year nomination, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Video of the year nomination, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Producer of the Year, Joby Baker for Magnolia, Vancouver Island Music Awards, 2016
- Western Canada Music Awards- nominated for Best World Album 2015
- Scholarship, Banff Centre of Fine Arts, Music Residency Program 2015
- Semi-Finalist in the 2008 Eckhardt Gramatté competition
- Scholarship recipient at RAM and McGill University